Friday 24 August 2007

Getting Started

Living within reasonably easy reach of most of the Pembrokeshire coastline - mid way between north, west and south coasts - I got interested in doing some fishing early in 2007. Thoughts of childhood fishing trips with my father and friends that consisted of boring waits on the beach with no fish, and casting across others lines on Penarth pier didn't make me that enthusiastic. Though one positive memory that I did remember was of my friend feathering for mackerel on a weekend trip to Marloes, Pembrokeshire many years ago. Pulled in lots of mackerel in a short time! So I decided that was for me. None of this standing on beaches waiting for fish to bite some foul smelling bait. No, it was fishing from the rocks with feathers and lures that I wanted to try. So I got a spinning rod and feathers in March - then some more feathers, then some shads, then some other lures, a Rapala J9, a chug bug thingy, and yes the list goes on as I got caught by all the fancy lure makers. Had a go and started to catch some fish. Pollack first at Ceibwr Bay near Cardigan. Got hooked by the fishing bug. Tried a little float fishing, then ledgering and got bored at first. Then went down Newport beach one day with the children to try looking for bait and met a chap who pulled in a large Bass after about 10 mins fishing. That was it, I was going to try that beach fishing! So I did, but to no great success at first. Then tried Musselwick sands near Marloes one night and caught a 3.5 lb bass and a dogfish. And that was it - off to the shop and get a beach caster and away we go :)

No comments: